Time and motion study is a core set of tools which are utilized by the managers in the industrial sector to improve the execution or the operational efficiency. It can be done by dividing the work into simpler units and setting the execution benchmarks. This can be used as a part of conjunction with the wage –incentive model which helps in increasing employee motivation. Initially, the time and movement studies were used to enhance productivity in manufacturing units but later observed huge use even in the service industries.
Time and motion studies can be used to decide the best possible method to perform the sub tasks in a worker’s job. This is the first piece-rate remuneration model to augment the laborers’ profitability and to recognize and prepare the representatives on the premise of identity and abilities examination.
To the extent operations are concerned, time and motion study is one of the better methods for determining the capacity of the plant and furthermore the particular time when the effectiveness and productivity can be improved. This study is a proper answer to determine the “time” taken to finish a certain task by a plant and machinery in a factory.
Time and Motion studies outline the ground work and facilitate to arrive at a better capacity, robust planning system which will lead the operations of a plant to operational excellence.
Basics on How to Do a Time and Motion Study Includes
- Look closely at the present task/current situation
- Identify the opportunities to be more efficient
- Modify the current process that is followed
- Examine if it produces the expected outcomes
- Rinse and repeat
Time and Motion study is an observation method used to decide the timing and duration of tasks or procedures. It is a work measurement technique used for recording the times and rates of working for the components of a specified job carried out under specified conditions and for analyzing data. The study helps in reducing and controlling costs, enhancing working conditions and motivating individuals.
At the point when the time taken to finish a task is measured, machine delays, personal needs, exhaustion, and any other foreign obstruction are likewise considered. Effectively a job is separated into its parts. The time taken to finish every part is noted. Furthermore, the parts are ordered or rearranged, keeping efficiency in mind.
A Time Standard is a vital part of Time and Motion Study. A time standard considers three factors: qualified laborer, working at a normal pace and doing a specific task.
Conducting Time Studies
As per good practice guidelines for production studies, a comprehensive time study comprises of:
- Study objective setting.
- Experimental design.
- Time data collection
- Data analysis.
The collection of time data should be done in a few ways, depending upon study objective and environmental conditions. Time and motion data can be taken with a typical stopwatch, a handheld PC or a video recorder. There are various dedicated software packages used to transform a palmtop or a handheld PC into a time study device. As an option, time and motion data can be gathered consequently from the memory of computer control machines (i.e. computerized time studies).
A Time Standard Helps in Identifying the Following in a Manufacturing
- Determining what number of machines or tools to purchase.
- Determining the quantity of labor required.
- Determining the cost of manufacturing and selling.
- Scheduling the machines, operations, and individuals who will carry out the job.
- Determining the performance of a worker.
- Determining the assembly line balance and transporting belt speed.
- Pay compensation for teams or people that surpass the normal work standards.
- Performing cost reduction.
- Evaluating new equipment purchase.
- Creating spending plans.
However, Time and Motion study is an essential tool for further improvement in productivity and operations in any plant.
There are many merits accrued by the right implementation of time contemplates in any workplace. Some of the key benefits are:
- Irrespective of the industry or size of operations, it helps in enhancing the current methods of performance improvement.
- The studies will likewise assist in distinguishing the right floor plan or operation layout of the factory or facility.
- The consequences of the time study when implemented prompt better resource utilization, higher job fulfillment, and general efficiency.
- It can likewise be used to cut manual effort due to the implementation of a better workflow process.